Gezundheit.

Virtually 5 minutes before doing the final edit we came up with the name “Gezundheit”. We wanted a short title and the only ones that weren’t short or good enough were “don’t sneeze in my cocaine” and “diet coke”, I felt “Gezundheit” suits it better.

Preproduction
20130524_163223
We took several meetings deciding the story and what we needed to shot. We ordered the scenes in what our mind was a good edit (even though it changed a lot during the editing to make a more dynamic trailer) and what we needed to accomplish them. We thought of using a jib and different other toys for the camera but in the end, due to the time limit we had, we didn’t.

IMG_1557

We had a pretty solid idea and then proceeded to do a shot list with some storyboard images and some pretend footage.
SHOT

boot2

fallingfalling

Production

We tried to follow the shot list, that we talked through and Jack made it with the corresponding angles we though. He placed the amount of pretend seconds in the edit we planned every scene should last just to have a rough idea but in the end we changed it a lot we had two main days of shooting, and a couple of days doing just a couple of shots we were missing. The second main day we had to reshoot some of the footage from the first day due to problems with how we did the lighting and audio.

Managing the camera, Sony NEX, was a bit of a challenge since I haven’t used it in depth so some basic things such as the audio input and light intake switches took some time to get a feel of it.

Jack mainly did the photography with a great taste and always thinking of the matching angles we should do.

The main place where we filmed it was pretty dark so we had to illuminate it and we encountered a problem since the walls all were white the light bounced a lot so that was an issue.

For the outdoor scenes we didn’t have a lot of trouble. We tried a couple of scenes inside the car and boot of the car but the camera was too big so we used a gopro and a canon. Also for the bar scenes we used a canon 60D because of the size.

Postproduction

I used Final Cut Pro X for editing the video and I found it good but not professional enough. As I have only used it briefly for some minor projects, it was difficult to get around some glitches it has i.e. it randomly produces green frames to the exported file and you have to replace the “damaged footage”. Another thing was the audio. It has simple adjustments that sometimes work but to properly edit the whole audio it lack the capability to export OMF’s so I couldn’t figure out how to do it. There are some long way things explained in several blogs on how to get away around it but you have to buy a couple of plugins. In general how the audio is connected always to one piece of video was annoying for me and every tutorial on how to edit audio didn’t explain it in detail.

We decided that some scenes, since the room where we filmed had a lot of echo, we should record voice overs. In my opinion they sound fake but better than the original. What I would have done differently was editing in another software so we could edit the audio in Audition. We forgot to record some roomtone during the shooting so that could have helped us a little since the roomtone I added didn’t quite match.

After a couple of rough cuts where the main dialogue scenes were untouched, Jack suggested a little bit of reorder of them so the story would be better and it worked. I first didn’t want to touch those scenes but in the end editing them make it more dynamic

Also I struggled doing the color correction inside FCPX. Mainly I think because we didn’t lit properly all of the scenes so it was difficult to try to match them. Also the footage taken in dark spaces from the gopro and the canons had a lot of noise that couldn’t be removed making the footage have a lower quality.

Effects and titles

The first thing in the project, after our first preprod talks, that I stared doing was the transition through the ground in the beginning.Our first idea was filming a dead body in a pool and then doing the transition but we decided it was easier and faster to do it the way it is. So I spend some day downloading textures and copyright free images to compose the transition. I used a technique called camera mapping and it worked. It’s not super realistic but it goes with the comedic tone of the trailer.

For the falling scene Idar worked with vanishing point. It was somewhat difficult since my feet overlapped with the table (and also my “acting” of falling fell short). For the title he used a couple of effects: shattering and grid.

We had another compositing to do when Idar’s character was slicing with a hatchet. We just added some blood squirts and since the scene was just fractions of a section it worked.

The audio recording went smooth since Jack calibrated the settings and mic to record. Me and Idar tried to act our parts and it matched the video, not perfectly but it worked.

In post our way of work was the following. While I was the main editor, Idar worked primarily with the after effects While Jack was doing the titles and helping me with the appropriate sound effects, music and editing decisions so it went pretty smooth.

IMG_1611

I think it took us a little bit more time than planned because of the environments we chose and also in my case for choosing FCPX but in the end I feel quite happy with the result. Obviously there are things that can be improved but as Jonathan said by making mistakes we have learned how to improve ourselves in the future.

IMG_1607

Now, the video:

… and a slideshow with some pics from the making of.

Here are our references for the audio:

So here are the links for the music:

Music:http://ccmixter.org/files/Headcrab/28638 http://ccmixter.org/files/cdk/37315
Sound Effects:
And for the Sound Effects: http://www.freesfx.co.uk http://freesound.org/people/Raccoonanimator/sounds/160909/, Apple Loops Sound Effects

Advertisements